Looking for the best healthy baby snacks?
This expert guide will help you navigate the world of healthy baby snacks and ensure you’re giving your bundle of joy everything they need to thrive.
The Importance of Finding the Right Baby Health Snacks
The one thing that bothers parents, especially when they are away from home, is if their babies are getting enough to eat and if said foods are scaling up to the required dietary needs.
That is because babies have small stomachs and can only eat a certain amount of food at a time. As such, they will need more than just the standard three meals to get the nutrients and energy they need.
Aside from the obvious, which is the need for proper foods to grow big and strong, babies can become cranky when hungry. The sheer unbridled chaos that comes with a cranky baby can be frightening sometimes, especially for first-time parents who do not have the experience to handle this.
That is where snacks come into play. Irrespective of if you are one of those parents that are always out and about, having healthy baby snacks for when you are on the move will come in handy.
Healthy snacks can keep your babies full between meals, boosting their energy and keeping them satisfied enough to curtail the chaos. They also help create a more balanced diet, which is convenient when trying to match their rapid growth and development.
Fortunately, getting the right snack for your baby is easy and affordable. Here are some of our top picks, and we have placed them in categories to make things even more accessible.
How to Choose the Right Healthy Snacks for Your Baby
It can be hard to know what to feed your baby when they are hungry. Of course, you want to ensure they get the necessary nutrients, but you also do not want to overfeed them.
So how can you tell if a snack is healthy for your baby? Here are a few things to look for:
- Does the snack have plenty of vitamins and minerals? Babies need lots of these to grow strong and healthy.
- Is the snack low in sugar? Too much sugar can lead to obesity and tooth decay.
- Is the snack easy to digest? Some snacks, like hard candy, can be challenging for babies to digest. Look for something soft and easy to chew.
- Is the snack safe for your baby to eat? Avoid anything with small pieces that could choke your baby.
You also want to consider the potential for allergic reactions when looking for the right go-to snacks. Some everyday food items that trigger allergies in babies and toddlers include cow’s milk, eggs, tree nuts, shellfish, and peanuts.
Following these guidelines, you should be able to find a healthy snack that's perfect for your little one.
Fruit-Based Snacks for Babies
Fruit-based snacks are one of the best healthy snacks for babies 6 months and older.. Whether raw, dried, baked, or sauced, fruit-based snacks offer sweetness and nutrition and are suitable for kids right from when they start their transition to solid food (at the 6-month mark).
Remember, gummy fruit snacks do not fall under this category as they are more candy (they tend to have added sugars) rather than a healthy food option. They also pose a choking hazard for kids under the age of 4. As such, it would be best to exclude them from the baby healthy snack category.
Some fruit-based healthy snacks for babies include:
1. Dried cherries:
One of the great things about dried fruits is that you do not have to worry about bruising and browning like fresh fruits. They are an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamins A and C, which can help boost immunity and fight off infection.
Additionally, the high fiber content in dried cherries can help promote healthy digestion, and the fruit's natural sweetness can help satisfy a baby's sweet tooth without resorting to sugary snacks.
Always remember to chop up pitted dried cherries before packing, as they can be a choking hazard.
2. Apples and pears:
Apples and pears are two of the healthiest snacks you can give your baby. You can steam or roast them after taking off the peel for your babies. On the other hand, you can provide sliced or even whole apples and pears to your toddlers.
Both fruits are packed with nutrients and fiber, which can help babies stay regular. And because they're easy to chew, they're perfect for little ones just learning to eat solid foods.
3. Freeze-dried strawberries:
These sweet and crunchy snacks are great for the long term. They are also a favorite for parents with teething babies, as the cold snack helps soothe teething pains.
Freeze-dried strawberries can be store-bought and come packed with many essential vitamins and minerals. In addition, they are easy to store and transport, making them a great option for on-the-go snacking.
These tiny oranges are great on-the-go snacks. They are easy to peel and are seedless, and easy to eat. They can be given to babies as a whole fruit or in the form of puree.
Clementine is a good source of vitamin C, folate, and fiber. These nutrients are vital for babies as they help support the immune system and promote gastrointestinal regularity.
Veggie-Based Snacks for Babies
Parents can testify how often their kids tend to shun veggies during mealtime. However, grab-and-go veggie snacks might just be the game changer.
For starters, they are easy to prepare and are a great source of essential nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a perfect snack for growing babies.
Some veggie-based healthy snacks for babies include:
- Avocado slices: Avocados are a good source of healthy fats and vitamins A, C, and E. You can serve them plain or add a little bit of lemon juice or salt for extra flavor.
- Carrot sticks: Carrots are packed with vitamins and fiber. They make great finger food for babies who are just starting to self-feed. You can serve carrot sticks plain, or you can also try dipping them in a little bit of hummus or yogurt for extra protein. Just be sure to cut the carrots into small pieces for your baby to eat safely.
- Seaweed snacks: Seaweed snacks are a healthy and delicious snack option for babies. It is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including iodine, which is essential for a baby's brain development. Moreover, seaweed is low in calories and fat and a good fiber source. All of these nutrients make seaweed an excellent snack choice for babies. Not only are seaweed snacks nutritious, but they are also easy to eat and fun to chew on. This makes them a perfect snack for on-the-go families.
- Bell pepper strips: Bell pepper strips are a yummy and healthy snack for babies. They are easy to chew and full of nutrients like vitamins C and A that help support growing bodies. Plus, they are a great source of antioxidants. Bell peppers come in many different colors, so let your little one pick their favorite. Red, yellow, and orange peppers are sweet, while green peppers have a slightly tangy flavor. You can even mix it up and give your baby a rainbow of bell pepper strips to try, serving them raw with dip or cooked in stir-fries or soups.
Cucumber slices: Cucumber slices are a great healthy snack for babies. They are easy to chew and full of nutrients that help support a growing baby's diet. Plus, they are a refreshing and hydrating snack for both hot and cold days. Cucumber slices are also a great way to introduce your baby to new textures and flavors. You can add them to various dishes or simply serve them on their own or with a little bit of ranch dressing or yogurt dip.
Make-Ahead Healthy Snacks for Babies
Make-ahead snacks are the way to go if you seek a combination of food items and ingredients to create a well-rounded diet.
Some make-ahead healthy snacks for babies include:
- Mini muffins
- Blueberry pancakes
- Baby puff
- Scrambled eggs
There are many recipes to go through to make each of these snacks. You also get satisfaction from these homemade snacks as you can control what goes into them. They are also easy to store and carry along with you.
The best way to serve healthy snacks on the go
Another consideration you’ll want to think about is storage options. How you store your healthy baby snacks makes a big difference as it determines how long the snacks last.
For example, if you are going to be storing snacks in the car for a long time, it is important to choose containers to keep the food from getting squished. On the other hand, if you are just going to be snacking on the go, you should choose something easy to open and close. But, again, countless options are available, depending on your needs.
Planning ahead always helps when it comes to baby snack time, and with the right containers, that’s going to be much easier.
FAQs: Healthy Snack for Babies
- What are the healthiest baby snacks?
The healthiest baby snacks tend to be those that are provided by nature - fruit and vegetables. You can’t go wrong with some carrot sticks or clementines.
- What are simple snacks for babies?
Simple snacks for babies involve fruits and vegetables that are easy to chew and digest such as cucumber slices, carrot sticks, and clementines.
- What can a 9-month-old snack on?
By 9 months of age, a baby should be on solid foods which means there are a whole host of healthy baby snack options. The most simple are your fruits and vegetables, but you can also get creative with mini muffins, scrambled eggs, and yogurt.
- What baby snacks can I give my 7-month-old?
7-month-old babies have just started to transition to solids so you want to give them healthy baby snacks that are easy to chew on. Soft fruits like grapes and clementines are an excellent option.
What Are the Best Healthy Snacks for Babies?
Whether you’re looking for healthy baby snacks for 1-year-olds, 6-month-olds, or even older kids, these snacks are perfect.
Parents are always on the go, and sometimes it is hard to find time to make healthy baby snacks for our little ones. But with these fruits and veggies, plus our easy recipes, you will never need another baby snack idea again!
So what are you waiting for?
Try out these healthy baby snacks!
If you’re going to be pre-preparing your snack for when you’re on the go, then don’t forget another crucial element - you need the right container.
For all your container and baby food products, Quark Baby has you covered!
From homemade baby food purée to grade school snacks, you’ll never need another container for your kiddos.